Login Form

New kid on the block!

More
13 years 2 months ago #1006 by carpj0705@sky.com
Hello from a new Q1 owner in the UK, well its not a new plane as it is still in the boxes! and it is about 20 years old. I am also not realy a new kid,, at 53 years old I rarely get refered to as a kid these days but I am new to building aircraft and to flying.
My main reason for joining is to gather as much information as possible about these type of homebuilt planes as I can before I actually get started on the build.
I have been catching up with the newsletters you have so kindly uploaded to this site, great job.
I have to renew my garage roof before I can get started and finish off a couple of other projects that I have on the go, Kit build cars similar to the one in my picture. Then its all out to get the plane up and flying.
I notice that you have a list of parts as do I but not knowing a aleron from a turnbuckle I could do with some pictures of the items concerned. I do hope that my kit is complete despite its age.
I got a new digital camera for christmas so I plan to take lots of pictures of the build.

Do you have any members in the UK?

I understand that the Q1 is accepted by the LAA here in the UK and that I will have the build overseen by a senior engineer who will advise me and signe off the build and the completed plane when it is finished. Is that how things are done in the USA and other countries?

Well enough from me for now

Kind regarda John

Hey, lets be careful out there!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 1 month ago #1014 by spilligan
Replied by spilligan on topic Re: New kid on the block!
overwhelmed by the response John?
Try to keep enthusiastic.

Trevor

More
13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #1015 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: New kid on the block!
Ouch Trevor!
I did respond to John via e-mail, I swear! :P

I'm trying to get people to use these forums more, but I don't think that will work very well until we get them integrated with the the Q-list.

For now, that seems to be the most active way to get answers. I'm trying though! LOL!

If you have any questions, please let me know!

Warm regards,
Dan Yager
QBA Editor
www.quickheads.com

Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that?

— Captain Picard, from 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' episode 'Booby Trap.'
Last edit: 13 years 1 month ago by admin.

More
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #1057 by haiqu
Replied by haiqu on topic Re:New kid on the block!
Hi John,

Sounds like you have a similar system to that extant in Australia, or at least how it used to be before 1998 anyhow. The US system is a lot friendlier and there are a lot more people crazy enough to build an aeroplane so local clubs often supply much assistance, particularly chapters of the Experimental Aircraft Association (the infamous EAA).

Down here we now have a choice to build under the aegis of Recreational Aircraft Australia (RA-Aus, and formerly known as the Australian Ultralight Federation or AUF) which entitles certain dispensations from the strict need to have someone oversee each stage of the build. In fact for certain limited design parameters one can now design, build and fly an aircraft with non-certified materials and sign it off oneself! A final pre-flight inspection by an authorized member of RA-Aus (or it's if more convenient an inspector from CASA, the main aviation body) is the only mandated requirement, and from this is determined the limitations of the permit to fly as regards location, boundaries and so on.

For a Quickie built new from a kit, I could also still take the old pre-1998 path with the Sports Aircraft Association of Australia (SAAA) under ANO 95-28 and have them supervise stage by stage, and if it had a certified engine that would allow me to fly over built-up areas once the mandatory "shakedown" or test period has passed, which usually means 40 hours limited to one airfield. Since there is no certified engine for the Quickie the point is moot.

So the sensible thing would be to use the RA-Aus and this then gives me a lot less legislative hassles in the long run. Training is much cheaper and the only real limit is that I'm confined to Class E and G airspace. And since Australia's a big place this really isn't much of a limitaton.

I'm sure there will be similar rules in the UK, if not now then soon enough. Joining your local aero club or association and reading their website should be of benefit. Hope this helps.

Rob
Last edit: 12 years 11 months ago by haiqu.

More
12 years 11 months ago #1068 by carpj0705@sky.com
Hi Rob,

Yes there do seem to be some similarities and I am now a member of the Bristol LAA where I am attending meetings and learning a lot.
A very friendly bunch and so much information freely available.

I have just about finished an overhall of my garage and roof and built a covered storage area for my kit cars to protect them while I am building my Q1 which looks like quite a lengthy process.

Have you recently begun a build your self?

I will also need to learn how to fly and obtain my licence.

I am getting as much ready before contacting the local LAA examiner in a bid to make a good first impression and get things off to a flying start

:laugh:

I have had a lot of private messages from members who have seen my postings here and have saved them all for the near future when I hope to take up the very kind offers.

Realy good to hear from you

Cheers John

Hey, lets be careful out there!

More
12 years 11 months ago #1069 by haiqu
Replied by haiqu on topic Re:New kid on the block!
Hi John,

Looks like you're off to a good start with the club, not to mention the incredible fortune of finding an unstarted kit! The resin and hardener will be no good by now and should be replaced with new.

I've been a fan of Burt Rutan's aircraft since the Vari-Viggen was first in the news in about 1975, which dates me in your age group (actually 58). I did manage to purchase a Quickie at one time in 2004 but it was in New Zealand and the shipping would have cost more than it was worth, so I sold it to another kiwi a few months later and broke even. There were some repairs needed and I don't think he has flown it yet.

Having an interest for so long, I've accumulated a wealth of knowledge about these little ducks, so if you need any information just ask. Read the plans carefully, and the newsletters, and take your time. And remember, measure twice and then cut once!

Cheers,

Rob

Moderators: JonMatcho
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds