Login Form

Q1 Parts List.

More
14 years 4 months ago #817 by NateD2
Replied by NateD2 on topic Re:Q1 Parts List.
I'm working on a 3D CAD model of the Q2 airframe. The Q1 airframe is a possibility.

When the work is all done I will have a complete Q2 airframe in 3D. At that point the 3D model can be used for a number of purposes. My primary use will be to have foam CNC cut to shape. The model also will additionally aid in generating more accurate plans and instructions. Not to mention a complete 3D model file to reference.

Another nice thing will be the ability to generate parts that fit without any rework.

I will post my progress in the Q2 forum for now, so check it out from time to time.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 4 months ago #823 by Leon
Replied by Leon on topic Re:Q1 Parts List.
In the spirit of getting this started I am posting my version of the materials list for chapter 8 of the Q-1 construction manual. Corrections are very welcome! Other chapters to follow as time permits.

If anyone can point me to a good Import Broker, that will actually return e-mails or phone calls I'd be most appreciative. The next phase of the "Quickie Resurrection Project" depends on getting some stuff from China. The China end has been pretty easy but the US end is proving most frustrating :S

I'd "buy American" but we just don't make anything comparable.
========================
Leon McAtee
Hope the attachment comes through - the preview function isn't working for me today..............

File Attachment:

File Name: Chapter_8.xls
File Size:10 KB
Attachments:

More
14 years 4 months ago #824 by NateD2
What is it we "NEED" from china for the Q1 or Q2?

Any reason parts can't be made in country (wherever that is for you)?

More
14 years 4 months ago #825 by Leon
Excuse the double post - if the last one ever shows up:

I'm in the USofA, and there just isn't anyone here making what I want/need. I actually need 2 items made in China but one is available for a reasonable cost retail here in the US (Australia and UK as well). Someday maybe I'll have enough foundry and CNC equipment to make it myself, but that is many years down the road.

"Good enough" just isn't for me, and right now "the best" is made in China :S
=====================
Leon McAtee

More
14 years 4 months ago #826 by NateD2
If you are looking for a manufacturer for a part let me know. I know of a CNC shop that does some aircraft parts from time to time that would probably enjoy a new part to make.

If you need a casting made I can also have the shop make a wax pattern at a reasonable cost for lost wax casting.

This shop should be able to hold about +/-0.0015" not sure if thats "good enough" or "the best"

Just some food for thought.

Nate

More
14 years 4 months ago #828 by Leon
Nate:

I appreciate the offers. I would be interested in the contact info for the CNC shop as I'm always looking for a better deal. Lost wax casting I can do in my own shop, though my limit is 20 pounds of aluminum at a time.

Looks like DHL is the way to go for imports from China. They cost a bit more but they have been very quick and helpful. The BIG advantage is that I will be dealing with just one entity, so if something gets damaged or lost there is only one entity to blame.

Attached find my version of a materials list for Chapter 9. As always corrections are most welcome!
======================
Leon McAtee

NateD2 wrote:

If you are looking for a manufacturer for a part let me know. I know of a CNC shop that does some aircraft parts from time to time that would probably enjoy a new part to make.

If you need a casting made I can also have the shop make a wax pattern at a reasonable cost for lost wax casting.

This shop should be able to hold about +/-0.0015" not sure if thats "good enough" or "the best"

Just some food for thought.

Nate

File Attachment:

File Name: Chapter_9.xls
File Size:10 KB
Attachments:

Moderators: JonMatcho
Time to create page: 0.210 seconds