Login Form

Q1 trailerable modification details?

More
13 years 5 days ago - 13 years 5 days ago #1081 by admin
Hey Rob,
I got the plans just fine. That set must be out on the net somewhere. (Maybe Jon Finley's site?) Or maybe I bought them from some unscrupulous eBay seller back in the day. :(

At any rate, they aren't complete, and I don't think they have the plans to make the Q1 trailerable. [Oops! - I just re-read your post and found them after Chapter 7 - Sorry!]

Anyway, without further ado, I'll give you a link to a good copy of the original Q1 "Trailerable Plans" issued by QAC:

www.quickheads.com/free_samples/Quickie_Fuselage_Cut_Plans.pdf

I'll also add a link to them from the Resources link under the QBA TAB on the top menu of the site.

Of course, in order to see the updated version, you really should become a member of the Quickie Buidlers Association. You can do that for FREE if you contribute an article (with some pictures) for the newsletter. (That offer is open to everyone.)

The updated plans provided by Leon McAtee really fill in a lot of gaps left by QAC, and they cover some of the safety concerns not mentioned in the original plans.

Your membership support is always appreciated and I will continue to work hard to make it a good value for your $20!

OK. . . that's it for the sales pitch. B)

I hope this helps. Please let me know.

Cheers,
Dan Yager
QBA Editor
www.quickheads.com

Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that?

— Captain Picard, from 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' episode 'Booby Trap.'
Last edit: 13 years 5 days ago by admin. Reason: typos

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 5 days ago - 13 years 5 days ago #1083 by haiqu

Hey Rob,
I got the plans just fine. That set must be out on the net somewhere. (Maybe Jon Finley's site?) Or maybe I bought them from some unscrupulous eBay seller back in the day. :(

At any rate, they aren't complete, and I don't think they have the plans to make the Q1 trailerable. [Oops! - I just re-read your post and found them after Chapter 7 - Sorry!]

Yes, I did get them off the net but I have no idea where, it was years ago. Glad you found that section I mentioned. It matches what I had when the full plans were here, but I'd be interested to read Leon's update. If you look at Chapter 17 you'll see that the full engine installation details for the Onan are there too.

Of course, in order to see the updated version, you really should become a member of the Quickie Buidlers Association. You can do that for FREE if you contribute an article (with some pictures) for the newsletter. (That offer is open to everyone.)

Ah, the sales pitch! I've been putting everything I know here in the public forum so that it's readily available to anyone. Writing a newsletter article assumes I know something about the build process, and since I haven't yet built one I don't think I have the required credibility. Nor can I spare $20 for annual membership, unfortunately ... times have been tough here too.

I see you finally hit 100 posts, hope you gave yourself a t-shirt. I'm not far behind you!

Rob
Last edit: 13 years 5 days ago by haiqu.

More
13 years 5 days ago #1084 by admin

Writing a newsletter article assumes I know something about the build process

Well you certainly sound authoritative enough here in the forums. You might as well get a membership for your time! You can write about anything Q related for the newsletter, even if it's about your search for a kit to build, and the money to put it together!

Everyone is at different levels. You never know, you might spark someone's curiosity with the things that you've experienced.

I wish you the best of luck, and I look forward to sending you a T-shirt!

Warm regards,
Dan Yager
QBA Editor
www.quickheads.com

Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that?

— Captain Picard, from 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' episode 'Booby Trap.'

More
13 years 5 days ago - 13 years 5 days ago #1085 by haiqu
I've had an interest in Rutan's designs (and many others) since the mid-70s, and I'm an avid reader of fine details. I'm sure that will bode well for me when I finally get enough time and money to build my own airplane.

It's easy to sound "authoritative" when most people who are posting know nothing at all, it's mostly a matter of steering them away from making obvious errors or dreaming up radical alterations before they have learned enough to know what not to do. And to do all that without squelching their enthusiasm too much, naturally. IMHO most people who want to change a workable design are dreamers who will never start building even if they have all the parts.

However, it's a bit harder to fool the actual builders on the QBA list and the Q-list forum, those guys deserve my respect. I'll certainly give some thought to your suggestion, there may be a few specialized areas where I can add something useful.

BTW thanks for posting that trailer mod link, I'm sure the guy who started this thread will appreciate it.

Rob
Last edit: 13 years 5 days ago by haiqu.

Moderators: JonMatcho
Time to create page: 0.297 seconds