Login Form

Metric plans and new drawings.

More
14 years 4 months ago #836 by Lemans
Metric plans and new drawings.

In preparation of building (or buying ) a Q1 I??m playing with the idée of modifying the chapters with metric units and European standards and suppliers.
As being European my self, it would be much easier to read and to understand what is explained.
I??m counting on redrawing the plans (CAD) and ??pre?? building the plane in a 3D drawing environment. I like these drawing verified by members and/or owners of the community for accuracy reasons. Logic to me that these drawings and files become free to use for future Q1 builders in the US and in EU.
Is there someone out there who would be pleased with these new drawings and willing to sacrifice some time to this project?

Regards Lemans

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 11 months ago #907 by Simonsen
Hey Lemans.

I'd be very pleased with some metric-unit-drawings because I'm planning to build my own little Q1 some day. I'm from Denmark so I'm not used to calculate with inches and so on.

What's your currently status on the project?

Regards Simonsen

More
13 years 11 months ago #911 by Lemans
Hello Simonsen,

Perhaps you read already some posts regarding my project on a modified Citroen engine for a Q1.
Before I start building a Q1 I want to build the perfect 4-stroke engine for that plane.
Specs (for the normal aspirated version) needs to be close to 27hp for 25 kg in direct drive configuration.

For endurance testing I need an airplane witch I can land almost everywhere.
I chose to build a metric version of the Texas Parasol for this purpose.
So status of the metric Q1 project??. on hold.

I expect my Q1-engine/Texas Parasol combination up and running at the end of this year. Converting the Q1/Q2 plans into metric plans for a legal European Ultra light(think of it as a single pilot Q2) is for the end of this year.

Regards Lemans

More
13 years 11 months ago #914 by Simonsen
Okay.. I'm going to give it a try myself.. Good luck with your project.

More
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #1112 by haiqu
Have you guys actually looked at the plans? :dry:

Hardly anything is dimensioned at all, the parts are made with templates. All the bolts, nuts and washers are specified by AN part numbers. Raw materials like aluminium sheet and tubing can't be substituted without a full redesign. In other words, there's no point in translating it because you wouldn't gain anything. Besides, there's nothing wrong with the Imperial system, after all the UK and USA still use it exclusively.

Altitude is standardized in feet worldwide except for the crazy Chinese. If you don't know how to measure and think in feet and inches it's about time you learned. It's the aviation standard.
Last edit: 12 years 11 months ago by haiqu.

More
12 years 11 months ago #1113 by admin
Rob,
Let’s tone down the rhetoric a bit, and stop being condescending to other users. I encourage anyone on this site to contribute whatever they want, and if someone wants metric plans I encourage them to work on them, especially if it will help other people understand the dimensions a little better.

Yes the plane is built with templates, but you must measure the foam blocks in order to determine where to put them. I think putting all of the dimensions in terms of the metric system would be very helpful to some people.

“Expert Boarder” in your case means that you have made A LOT of posts in the forums, NOT that you necessarily have particularly insightful things to share! Please don’t let that designation go to your head!

I do appreciate you adding content to the site, constructive feedback, and sharing suggestions, just watch the tone a bit.

Thanks,
Dan Yager
QBA Editor
www.quickheads.com

Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that?

— Captain Picard, from 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' episode 'Booby Trap.'

Moderators: JonMatcho
Time to create page: 0.195 seconds