Login Form

Bill of materials

• bnther
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
14 years 6 months ago #782 by bnther
Bill of materials was created by bnther
I'd like to get this project started, but I'm running into a small snag. I realize that things like 'blue/green/red/orange' foam probably have different names now. Consequently, I was planning on contacting Aircraft Spruce and hoping that someone there could steer me in the right direction. The problem that I am having, is I can't seem to find a clear/complete list of everything I need. For example, page 4-7 has 'Suggested Orange Foam Layout' with 4 pieces laid out. What I don't know is the length, width, or thickness of these pieces.
Next page, "take three 7" x 14" x 64" blue foam blocks. That I can work with.

Does anyone know if there is a sequential bill of materials like this out there?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 6 months ago #783 by haiqu
Replied by haiqu on topic Re:Bill of materials
There is actually a materials list, done some years ago by one of the members of a Yahoo group interested in the Quickie. It combines various parts lists and sources.

That spreadsheet has some limitations:

1) It has duplicate items on several pages
2) Item descriptions are as vague as the plans in some cases.
3) Some materials may not be needed, especially firewall forward if you use a different engine
4) It didn't include various factory changes, like parts for the trailer option
5) Some materials, such as epoxy, are no longer available and substitutes are needed

I'm reworking all that right now, and adding prices and materials sources to the sheets to give an idea of current cost.

To get you started, the blue foam for wings and canard is 1.6 lb/cu.ft styrofoam available from Wicks. You will need:

- 3 pieces of 7" x 14" x 64" for the main wing, at $58.40 each (P/N: F200-015)
- 5 pieces of 7" x 14" x 41" for the canard, at $41.57 each (P/N: F200-010)

You can also order these from Aircraft Spruce, but their foam blocks are heavier (2 lb/cu.ft), are in the wrong sizes and considerably more costly.

If you're buying foam and resin to get started on the fuselage right now, let me know and I'll complete those items first so you can get going.

Rob

More
14 years 6 months ago - 14 years 6 months ago #784 by haiqu
I forgot to add a link to the original parts list.

www.quickheads.com/media/kunena/attachme...e_parts_list_qac.xls

Until I've finished reworking it, this is all that's available I'm afraid.

There's not really much point asking one of the materials suppliers for help with a project that they may or may not have assembled 30 years ago.

That's why we're here, to help you get going. It would thrill me to see a brand new Quickie built, almost as much as building one myself.

Rob
Last edit: 14 years 6 months ago by haiqu.

• bnther
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
14 years 6 months ago #785 by bnther
Replied by bnther on topic Re:Bill of materials
Thanks for the spreadsheet. That was very helpful. I'm wondering why the plans didn't have that included. I've got the preview plans for the RV-9, and they are MUCH easier to read than the Quickie. Of course Van has had 6+ different models to perfect the plans.

I looked up the part#'s that you gave me for the blue foam. It said on the description that the foam was originally used for the VE and LE designs (I'm assuming Vari/Long EZ's). That was a good find. Thanks for that :)

More
14 years 6 months ago #786 by haiqu
There was a Bill of Materials with the Quickie, but it's hard to find a copy and it wasn't included in the plans, but on a separate sheet that came with the kit.

My feeling is that they kept it vague because they didn't want anyone to build from the plans unless they bought their kit of parts. The problem with that idea is when a company goes broke, their users are left unsupported.

I would have preferred to see proper dimensioned drawings too, but we can't have everything.

Moderators: JonMatcho
Time to create page: 0.649 seconds