Login Form

Q1 prop size?

More
14 years 9 months ago #701 by SteveC68
Q1 prop size? was created by SteveC68
What was the factory recommended prop size (diameter and pitch) for the Q1?

Thanks,
Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bnther
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
14 years 8 months ago #703 by bnther
Replied by bnther on topic Re:Q1 prop size?
I'm not sure about that one. I took a quick glance through the pilot's manual and it mentioned a rpm at cruise of 3000 - 3400. That would lead me to believe a it's a short prop. Of course you probably already knew that much with the Quickie being such a small plane.

I'll thumb through the plans this week and see if I can't find the answer. I think the real question is, 'how many people are actually using the Onan engine?' You look through the photo gallery and it seems like there are a lot of different engines being used. I'm kind of partial to the 1/2 VW, but that's a completely amateur opinion.

More
14 years 8 months ago #705 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re:Q1 prop size?
Hey guys,
I have been looking for this as well. The best I could come up with from QAC was the diameter. QAC newsletter 25 page 2 lists a 44" diameter prop for sale with the kit.

Hope this helps a little bit. Please let me know.

Thanks,
Dan Yager
[url=www.quickheads.com
]www.quickheads.com[/url]

Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that?

— Captain Picard, from 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' episode 'Booby Trap.'

More
14 years 8 months ago #707 by SteveC68
Replied by SteveC68 on topic Re:Q1 prop size?
After reading the newsletters further, it looks like there was a 42" diameter 27" pitch climb prop that was offered later. The 44" diameter prop was for the 22hp Onan, but there is no mention of what the original prop was that came with the 18hp kit.

• bnther
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
14 years 8 months ago #709 by bnther
Replied by bnther on topic Re:Q1 prop size?
Any idea what kind of clearance that 44" prop leaves?

Like I mentioned in a previous post, I'm kind of partial to the 1/2 VW, which has more torque/power than the Onan but I think it has a lower max rpm.

More
14 years 7 months ago #744 by haiqu
Replied by haiqu on topic Re:Q1 prop size?
Here's a rule of thumb:

1. Pick your required redline speed (Onan was 3600rpm).
2. Ask a prop manufacturer to sell you a prop that won't exceed that speed with the engine flat out, either in level flight or on the ground.

Assuming an 18hp engine, the diameter should be 42" like the original Cowley. For 22 hp you can go to 44". Anything larger would possibly be too big unless you somehow increase ground clearance. So, If you're going to fit 60hp engines (and I don't advise that at all) then start looking at 3 or 4-blade props.

Rob

Moderators: JonMatcho
Time to create page: 0.205 seconds