Login Form

QAC Prefabbed metal parts

More
14 years 9 months ago #698 by SteveC68
The way I see it the most difficult part of plans building a Q1, Q2/200 is coming up with the prefabbed metal parts that were supplied in the kit. Looking through the plans I don't see drawings for those parts. According to a post in the Q_Aircraft yahoo group "Burt Rutan has graciously consented that the original design has passed into the public domain." If that is the case then measurements need to be taken from the machined and welded parts that QAC provided in their kits and CAD drawings made from those measurements. This would make it much easier to get those parts made at local machine shops. Heck we might even be able to convince Aircraft Spruce or Wicks to supply these parts as a kit. Aircraft Spruce still sells the canopies for the Q1 and Q2/200.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 9 months ago #699 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re:QAC Prefabbed metal parts
I couldn't agree more. I am currently working on the Q-2/Q-200 drawings in my "spare" time:

www.quickheads.com/metal-parts.html

I have all of the pieces removed from my plane, and I took a set of digital calipers and created pencil sketches of everything.

Next I'll make some 2D CAD drawings. I can't believe how fast this year is going by, but I AM working on them I promise.

If anyone has a line on the Q1 parts I would be much appreciative.

There are lots of talented guys who would be willing to make these parts, or we could have "Cozy Girlz" or someone else make them in bulk. I do think there could be a resurgence in interest in these planes if there was some assurance that parts and support would be around.

Of course that's why I put together this site! :)

Cheers,
Dan Yager
www.quickheads.com

Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that?

— Captain Picard, from 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' episode 'Booby Trap.'

More
14 years 7 months ago - 14 years 7 months ago #725 by haiqu
Replied by haiqu on topic Re:QAC Prefabbed metal parts
Leon McAtee has a complete set of drawings for the prefab Q1 parts available for $20.00 + postage. Contains the original parts only, they will need to be modified if you build with the LS1 canard.

He may also make a complete batch of metal parts if enough interest is shown, and preliminary pricing is about US$450.00 + shipping.

A tentative list of parts to be included:

Phenolic parts CS-23's, CS-7, CS-14, CS-1, CS-4, CS-6's, CS-15's, and LS-1 equivalents on request.

Aluminum parts C-1, C-2, CS-17's, CS-11's - ES-3's on request.

CNC cut .063" 4130 parts - probably finish welded but may consider a "u-weld it" set.
CSA-1, CSA-2, CSA-3, CSA-4, CSA-5, CSA-6, CSA-7, CSA-8, CSA-9's, CSA-10, BSW-2's, BSW-3, BSW-4, TW-3 (modified), CS-24 (on request)

Machined aluminum parts CS-1's, CSM-1, CSM-2's, and CSM-7's

Misc small parts such as bushings for CSA-1, CS-22, canopy pins, FC-1 and FC-2 (on request)

He can also supply the airfoil templates plotted full-size for $70.00 + postage once he gets a new plotter.

Rob
Last edit: 14 years 7 months ago by haiqu.

More
14 years 7 months ago #736 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re:QAC Prefabbed metal parts
Hey Rob,
That's pretty cool. I didn't know Leon was offering these drawings for sale anymore. I'll have to e-mail him. I know he got burned on eBay because some jackass started selling copies of his work.

By the way the Jackass' name is Halvor Lensgrav and eBay username of "SevenLaser" or something like that. I bought a set of plans from him on eBay only to discover that it was Leon's work.

Don't ever deal with the Halvor. In his eBay ad he claims to have built a Quickie, but I don't believe that either. The CNC cut templates that Halvor was offering as well, were also based on Leon's DXF drawings. Not cool. :(

Cheers,
Dan Yager
www.quickheads.com

Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that?

— Captain Picard, from 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' episode 'Booby Trap.'

More
14 years 7 months ago #738 by SteveC68
Yeah Leon sent me a copy of his drawings about a month ago. I helped him proof the drawings and found a few errors and made a few suggestions. He said he mailed me the revisions yesterday. I'm going to have a local shop that does abrasive water jet cutting give me a quote on the aluminum and phenolic parts. I'll have to do some searching though to find a welder. I suggested to Leon that he get Cozy Girls to do the parts as the do a bunch of stuff for the Long EZ and Cozy. He said they never got back to him.

Steve

More
14 years 7 months ago - 14 years 7 months ago #742 by haiqu
Replied by haiqu on topic Re:QAC Prefabbed metal parts
Nice. The Cozy Grrrls do good work, but in this case I think Leon should find local shops to do the work. That way he can keep a closer eye on the final product, and production delays are reduced. There's no shortage of talented manufacturers looking for work right now.

Rob
Last edit: 14 years 7 months ago by haiqu.

Moderators: JonMatcho
Time to create page: 0.158 seconds