Login Form

Quickie Aircraft Corp. vs Mulan

• bnther
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
14 years 9 months ago #690 by bnther
Quickie Aircraft Corp. vs Mulan was created by bnther
This may be a question that everyone knows the answer to, but what exactly happened in the case of Mulan's Quickie? I've found that it crashed on takeoff somewhere in Colorado. But that's about all I can find.
How did the plane crash?

How bad was the pilot injured?

How exactly did he get injured? The quickie looks to be pretty safe with regards to a roll-over and I know that there are designed break points on the canard. So what went wrong that the pilot got injured?

Was the plane built to specs or were their modifications involved?

How experienced was the pilot? Does the quickie demand airline pilot skill?

How do you sue someone over a 'plans' built aircraft?! (that's one I really don't understand)

Any feedback on this would be appreciated :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 9 months ago #692 by SteveC68
Read towards the bottom of this page.

www.check-six.com/Crash_Sites/N82X-Jewett.htm

It contains a few more details of the crash and the lawsuit that followed. Sort of makes you wonder though why they didn't sell the company.

More
14 years 9 months ago #694 by admin
Here is a link to the crash report as well:

www.ntsb.gov/NTSB/brief.asp?ev_id=20020917X04543&key=1

I think it's interesting that Mullan didn't even call his Airplane a "Quickie"

Oddly, he called it a "J.A.MULLAN DRAGONFLY" I'm glad that the higher court overturned the ruling.

I think that QAC was allowed to go bankrupt for the simple fact that it lost Tom Jewett the charismatic half of its leadership. I spoke to Gene Sheehan on the phone, and he lacks a "certain charm" to say the least. :huh:

A lot of builders sent money to QAC to help with the legal defense, and were turned off by the outcome.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Dan Yager
www.quickheads.com

Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that?

— Captain Picard, from 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' episode 'Booby Trap.'

• bnther
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
14 years 9 months ago - 14 years 9 months ago #697 by bnther
Replied by bnther on topic Re:Quickie Aircraft Corp. vs Mulan
My thanks to Steve and Dan for the replies.

Witness report that the plane stalled and/or spun into the ground
I find this puzzling as I was under the impression that the Quickie didn't spin very easy -- or rather at all.

The first thought that to mind was in the aircraft's name "J.A.MULLAN DRAGONFLY". The dragonfly actually has a different wing than the Quickie. Is it possible that the builder put a different wing on and in doing so, removed the designed stall features of the Quickie?

In any case, it sounds like the accident had more to do with the engine out situation rather than a aircraft design flaw. So how did the pilot justify a lawsuit? You wouldn't sue Cessna if the engine froze up. I'm at a loss on that one.

I think the pilot is fairly fortunate to have survived at all. A spin at low altitude doesn't sound very good no matter what kind aircraft that you're in.

And it is a shame that the company wasn't able to continue under new management. General Aviation could really use a fun economical plane like the Quickie.

Thanks again for the replies. :)
Last edit: 14 years 9 months ago by bnther.

More
14 years 9 months ago - 14 years 9 months ago #700 by admin
I have never seen Mullan's plane, but we have to remember that each one of these is hand crafted by an individual builder, so each one comes out a little different.

A builder could definitely build a plane that was easy to spin, simply by screwing up the angle of incidence on the canard. One of the things that makes a Quickie stable is that the Angle of Incidence on the canard is set a few degrees higher than the main wing. This ensures that the canard stalls before the main wing, which drops the nose, and keeps both surfaces flying.

QAC was adament that builders not call their planes a "Quickie" if they deviated from the plans, this is why I find Mullan's name change interesting.

I don't think that Mullan's name for his airplane had anything to do with the " Viking Dragonfly " which was a scaled up two seater version of the single seat Quickie. He may have just named it that because it looks. . . well. . . kinda like a Dragonfly. That's just my opinion though.

Although, the NTSB stated that the reason for the crash was UNDETERMINED, they did place a lot of resposibility on the PIC.

I do think it's sad that some people lash out and have a "blame everyone else but me" mentality. (Which I think is why some people are sue happy.)

I think I would have been happy to survive at all, and I think that it's a testament to the Quickie design's durability.

All that being said, I think that some good came out of the lawsuit. "Mullan vs. Quickie Aircraft Corporation" shows up as a precessedent in subsequent Federal Court cases involving product liability. My hope is that this case will protect other kit manufacturers from lawsuits in the future.

This is a great discussion.

Thanks guys,
Dan Yager
www.quickheads.com

Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that?

— Captain Picard, from 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' episode 'Booby Trap.'
Last edit: 14 years 9 months ago by admin.

More
14 years 8 months ago #706 by SteveC68
Still more info on this case.

altlaw.org/v1/cases/435083

Moderators: JonMatcho
Time to create page: 0.210 seconds