Login Form

Hotwire kit -- recommendations

• bnther
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
14 years 9 months ago - 14 years 9 months ago #685 by bnther
Hotwire kit -- recommendations was created by bnther
I'm looking to purchase the equipment to do some foam cutting. Any recommendations as to what I should actually get?
Last edit: 14 years 9 months ago by bnther.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 9 months ago #688 by admin
Hey BN,
Not sure how your post slipped past my radar without a response. However, I'm not sure If I can be much help yet anyway.

I'll need to re-cut my ailerons and elevators again soon so I will definitely let you know what I use then. Keep checking back in the construction log . I'll be sure to post details there as I make progress.

One of the kits that I have, has a variable voltage control with it. I haven't tried it out yet, but if it works out I'd be willing to loan it to you if you pay shipping.

Also, I know some builders use a HO train transformer to control voltage to the hot-wire cutter. I don't know wnayone who's used the multiple batteries. (Which was one of the suggestions in the plans.

Hope this helps. Please let me know.

Thanks,
-Dan Yager
www.quickheads.com

Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that?

— Captain Picard, from 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' episode 'Booby Trap.'

More
14 years 7 months ago #766 by haiqu
I've successfully used nichrome wire for foam cutting of signs. Some people also use safety wire.

The power supply needs to be variable and low voltage, forget using mains directly which is far too dangerous.

Chapter 3 of the construction manual covers hot wire cutting. They suggest using a battery charger with extra wire attached to a piece of board with "tappings" to get te right wire temperature. Simple and effective.

• bnther
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
14 years 7 months ago #771 by bnther
Replied by bnther on topic Re:Hotwire kit -- recommendations
Just got my confirmation e-mail from Aircraft Spruce & Specialty for my new hotwire kit.

I wonder if it's here yet :silly:

The kit was $40 plus another $5 worth of wire. That's a little salty considering I'm only going to cut 4 wings and a rudder with it (I think) but I could easily see myself working on more than one project. Honestly, I really debated on whether or not to build a Quickie or a VFR Long-EZ. The EZ has got two seats, which the wife would approve of, but you figure $20 an hour just for gas. I really wouldn't be able to fly more than a couple hours a week. If I leave the wife at home, then I can fly 4 times that much.;)

Besides I've always liked the looks of the little X-wing machine.

More
14 years 7 months ago - 14 years 7 months ago #773 by haiqu
Star Wars fans unite! Burt's original name for the model 54 was "X-Fighter".

Cost of running a Quickie is very low indeed. Unless you fit an engine way too large for it, like some people have, you should drink less than 2 gallons an hour. That's a lot of flying for your money.

With the cash you save, you can build another one for the wife and so get to re-use that hotwire kit.
Last edit: 14 years 7 months ago by haiqu.

Moderators: JonMatcho
Time to create page: 0.332 seconds