OK, we have a few Onans flying a few Quickies around. I have not been able to find a concise list of the required mods to make them reliable and safe. It is clear that a stock Onan will put you in the "dirt" at some point. I would like to consider the proper safe modification prior to doing a complete repower of my Quickies.
Can anyone offer some in depth input of the successful Onans out there?
It looks like the only thing I needed to do was simply go back through the Members Only Q-talk Archive! I should have looked first. I found so much information, I could have been using this tool long ago.
It looks like the only real concern about the Onan is the baffeling must be done right, and I must use the new 20hp heads, gaskets, and new stainless exhaust valves.
The more I read on the "Members only" area of this site, the more I think the 1/2VW (37hp) in the corner of the hanger is the way to go. I have many hours in Revemaster VWs and really liked them. It seems that so many Onans have many various points to fail, and, well I am a little on the "FAT" side, that a little (a lot) of extra thrust would be a good thing! As I move forward on the airframe of N84MP I will continue to think about power.
It's a Boat Anchor 70's era Engine that is Junk compared to these New Honda/Clone Singles that are used in Go Kart Racing at 7000+rpm and have lots of HD Racing parts made for them that go up to 679.6cc. A 460 Single makes 37hp@5000rpm. A +/- 20cc = 2hp if built to same Spec's. So a 440 is 35hp, a 420 is 33hp.
Honda/Clone Singles & V Twins used for Aviation use!
1. Disable Governor.
2. Disable Low Oil Sensor.
3. Install Billet Aluminum Rod.
4. Install Billet Aluminum Flywheel.
5. Install a 34mm Carb, on Singles.
6. Install K&N Airfilter.
7. Install a better CAM .307 Lift+.
8. Install better HD Valve Springs & HD Pushrods, Locks, Keepers.
9. Install Head Milled for a higher 9.0-11.5 CR.
10. Install Bigger Valves for more hp.
11. Install a Tuned Header Exhaust
12. I would install the HD Needle Bearing Rocker Arms.
13. USE Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil
14. I would use all the different Ceramic/Moly Engine Coatings!