Login Form

An anniversary to remember

More
13 years 4 days ago - 13 years 4 days ago #1088 by haiqu
On 21 April 1979, exactly 32 years ago today, Lee Herron made the first flight of a kit-built Quickie at Essex County Airport, Fairfield NJ.

Lee started his build on Jan 1st 1979 and took only 111 days to complete the aircraft. He reported that top speed was 134mph or 7mph faster than the QAC prototype. Takeoff run was reported as 450ft.

By the end of June there were three more flying — those owned by Delbert Whitehead of Indiana, Canadian Quickie distributor Garry LeGare and J. W. Murphy of Cape Canaveral, Florida.

Ref: Quickie Newsletter No. 5 July 1979.
Last edit: 13 years 4 days ago by haiqu.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 4 days ago - 13 years 4 days ago #1089 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re:An anniversary to remember
I think anyone "in the know" would be a little skeptical about the 134mph with an 18hp Onan. In fact, that why the Quickie Builders Association was formed. (Since most builders were getting about 100mph)

Anyway, the QAC newsletters are all online. The specific one you mentioned is here:

www.quickheads.com/quickie-newsletter-5-page-1.html

Thanks again,
Dan Yager
QBA Editor
www.quickheads.com

Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that?

— Captain Picard, from 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' episode 'Booby Trap.'
Last edit: 13 years 4 days ago by admin.

More
13 years 4 days ago #1090 by haiqu
Replied by haiqu on topic Re:An anniversary to remember
Actually I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was absolutely right. Lee was an experienced builder who already had a VariEze under his belt. The figure was also verified by Garry LeGare, who got similar speeds out of his airplane.

Most builders complaining about poor performance didn't build a standard Quickie. There was a tendency for them to be built too heavy, and with too much instrumentation. Then when you start adding tricycle gear and so on, well ...

More
13 years 4 days ago #1091 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re:An anniversary to remember
QAC was still full of Hype. I think the average home builder was never able to achieve 134mph, as claimed by their advertising. I'm not knocking the design, I'm knocking the way it was marketed.

Cheers,
-Dan

Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that?

— Captain Picard, from 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' episode 'Booby Trap.'

More
13 years 4 days ago - 13 years 4 days ago #1093 by haiqu
Replied by haiqu on topic Re:An anniversary to remember
All kit manufacturers emit bullshit, that's fairly normal. A good example is the Rand KR-2 which was advertised as a 200mph aircraft. Typical builders using the same 70hp VW engine get 160mph with a tailwind.

The difference here is that there was verification from builders that the Quickie could meet or even exceed the design specs, which btw was 127mph and not 134mph. Even if you eliminate Garry LeGare's report — he was, after all, their Canadian distributor — there was still consensus amongst the first few that it did make specs.

I have to blame poor builders for this one, not the design.

Hey, I've seen the videos where you've been grinding out auto bog from inside the airframe of your Q2 .... 'nuff said?
Last edit: 13 years 4 days ago by haiqu.

Moderators: JonMatcho
Time to create page: 0.267 seconds