Login Form

Weight and balance for Corvair TriQ

More
13 years 8 months ago #935 by TriQVair2
TriQ builders

I am doing a preliminary W&B on my Corvair powered TriQ. I have researched the archives and there seems to be variation in what different builders have come up with as far as CG range and arm for the loads go. As you might expect my EWCG is somewhat forward and I probably will have to add ballast in the tail. As it is now It looks like 13#'s at station 140 will give me an EVCG of 40.2. Maybe not the greatest solution but one I can live with.
To somewhat alleviate the ballast required problem I am going to look for more weight saving measures. For instance I am going to rebuild my exhaust as I was extravagant with the materials and design and I think I can knock off 2-3 pounds there. Also my cowl is heavier than it needs to be and I will remake that too. Any help is greatly appreciated. It would help me a lot if any TriQ biuilders could share their empty weight, arm for the empty weight and the stations for header, main fuel and pilot/passenger arm.

Jon Swenson

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 7 months ago #936 by admin
Hi Jon,
Sorry for the late reply. There aren't a lot of us trying to put a corvair in a Q yet. That IS my eventual plan but I'm not there yet either. I think Joseph snow is closest, but he's doing a taildragger. He's had some of the same issues with W&B though and you can see some of his saga on his website here:

corvairq.info/Engine%20Mount.htm

Ultimately, Joseph totally redesigned his mount so he could move the engine even further back.

When I complete my engine I intend to have the 3100cc Big Bore job done to save weight and get a little more power. We'll see what happens. I am of course interested in your progress, and hope to see a corvair engine in a flying Q-2xx soon.

Warm regards,
Dan Yager
QBA Editor
www.quickheads.com

Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that?

— Captain Picard, from 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' episode 'Booby Trap.'

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: JonMatcho
Time to create page: 0.285 seconds