Login Form

Q2 3D Model Update

More
14 years 5 months ago #819 by NateD2
Replied by NateD2 on topic Re:Q2 3D Model Update
I forgot to ask if anyone has anymore information on how the windshield is shaped? (method and geometry)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 months ago #856 by gobxoy
Replied by gobxoy on topic Re: Q2 3D Model Update
Great work what software are you useing.

Clive (goBxoy)

GoBxoy

More
14 years 3 months ago #857 by Leon
Replied by Leon on topic Re:Q2 3D Model Update
I don't know if this will be of any use but I'll toss it out just in case it is. This file was said to have been done by a class of CAD students using a Q-200 for measurements.

More
14 years 3 months ago #858 by Leon
Replied by Leon on topic Re:Q2 3D Model Update
File was too large. Try here:

Casperclassified.com/Quickie/q2m.dwg

For some reason IE and Firefox like to try to open DXF files so I uploaded with a DWG extension. You will have to download and then change the extension to DXF.

More
14 years 3 months ago #859 by NateD2
Replied by NateD2 on topic Re:Q2 3D Model Update
Wow thats pretty much what I was trying to do. I wonder how accurate their model really is.

More
14 years 3 months ago - 14 years 3 months ago #860 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re:Q2 3D Model Update
Hey all,
Thanks Leon. I seemed to remember that I downloaded those files from the Valdosta Tech website back around 2000. I think the class had been working on this in 1998, and the files remained archived online until around 2005. The links are now broken, but luckily I downloaded everything as well.

The original page had all of the files listed individually, but they also had a zipped file to allow people to download everything together. I'll include that file here in case anyone can find them of value as well:

File Attachment:

File Name: autocad.zip
File Size:810 KB

The thing I didn't like about the the DXF file was that it was basically a huge point field with a lot of overlapping vertexes. It made it very cumbersome to work with. But I was using the file in a 3D animation package and not in a CAD program. You might see what I'm talking about when you open it.

I'm just speculating, but I suspect that the students modelled Larry Koutz's Q-200. I say this only because Larry lived very close to Valdosta, GA and I seem to remember the picture of Larry below being on the schools webpage about the project.

Unfortunately, Larry died in a non-aviation related accident at home. Very sad.

Also, I increased the file size limit for the forums to 10MB. That way we shouldn't run into any further file size limitations while trying to collaborate! Sorry about that Leon. If you have something larger than 10MB just let me know. I can increase the limit again if needed, but I want to prevent spammers from uploading "bad stuff." ;)

Hope this is helpful. Please let me know.

Warm regards,
Dan Yager
QBA Editor
www.quickheads.com

Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that?

— Captain Picard, from 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' episode 'Booby Trap.'
Attachments:
Last edit: 14 years 3 months ago by admin.

Moderators: JonMatcho
Time to create page: 0.259 seconds