Login Form

My Q2 Flys Again

More
7 years 7 months ago #1548 by cbthorne
My Q2 Flys Again was created by cbthorne
Quickie friends,
August 24th I completed a 1 hour flight, testing out where my stall speed (pitch buck) was and the characteristics of the stall. My thanks to Jeff for flying along in his Citabria as we followed highway 22 north to Sundre AB and then back along the same route. All went very well and I was very comfortable having a safety aircraft along with me. Temperatures, pressures and trim all worked out just fine. My Q2 stalls just as it did when I bought it, stalling (pitch buck) at 68-70 mph. the characteristics are also as before with the front canard just mushing downward, picking up a few mph, rising and then doing it over and over. There is very little wing drop and that can be corrected with rudder and aileron. I was so busy scanning instruments and air speed I hardly had a moment to just relax and enjoy the flight but that will come in future flights as noted below. After this test flight I plan to fly various short trips, gradually increasing distance on each one. I will have accompanying aircraft on these early flights as well.
Thanks to everyone for your support, encouragement and good wishes you have given me while I worked on this rebuild over the past 3 years, it means a lot to me.
Regards

Calvin Thorne
Cochrane Alberta Canada
website calvinthorne.blogspot.ca

Attachment IMG_20160805_150357B.jpg not found

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: JonMatcho

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 6 months ago #1549 by admin
Replied by admin on topic My Q2 Flys Again
Awesome news Calvin! So glad that you AND the plane are back in one piece. I know it was a bit of a personal struggle to get it back together, and I am so happy that you stuck it out and persevered! Happy flying, you're doing it right, and it looks beautiful! Nice work!

Congratulations!

Dan Yager
www.quickheads.com

Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that?

— Captain Picard, from 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' episode 'Booby Trap.'
The following user(s) said Thank You: JonMatcho

More
7 years 6 months ago #1550 by JonMatcho
Replied by JonMatcho on topic My Q2 Flys Again
Thank you for the motivational update Calvin, sounds like a wonderful second first flight! May you have many more.

Have you done anything special to prevent another engine out?

Jon

Jon Matcho
Quickheads & Canard Zone Administrator
Rebuilding Tri-Q200 N479E
Building Cozy Mark IV+
www.canardzone.com

More
7 years 6 months ago #1551 by cbthorne
Replied by cbthorne on topic My Q2 Flys Again
Jon,
Thanks for the reply! I am happy to talk about my past problems I had with the Q2 Revmaster. I bought it used from British Columbia Canada and flew it for about 6 hours. Upon bringing it home to Cochrane Alberta I had a engine out at 7500 feet in the mountains near Field BC over the main highway. Restarts would not work so attempted a highway landing which worked out but I went off the highway and hit a sign pole. I found on taking it all apart that the mixture cable had been spliced and had a siver solder sleeve inline. The sleeve vibrated apart, mixture leaned and cut off the engine. I have since replaced the mixture cable with a new one at a minor cost of $70 dollars.

Moderators: JonMatcho
Time to create page: 0.191 seconds