Login Form

Moving the landing gear inboard

More
12 years 8 months ago #1133 by Bob Wright
I have a Q2 which I flew 20 years ago and then got too busy to change from the GU canard to the LS canard. I would like to restart the project and wonder if anyone has used a hoop style landing gear (moving the landing gear inboard) on the canard as done with the Dragonfly MK11?
Cheers Bob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 8 months ago #1134 by mylittlemgb@yahoo.com
Bob if you would like to work with us we have a design to move the gear inboard to the firewall this gives you the Steve Wittman type gear. It is alot easier to install then the heavy hoop gear used on the Dragonfly. If you wish to change to a Tri Q we do make that conversion now.

Richard
F.L.A.P's

More
12 years 8 months ago #1137 by Bob Wright
I didn't see a response to my email. What are you thinking of regarding the Whitman landing gear?

More
12 years 8 months ago #1138 by mylittlemgb@yahoo.com
I have been working to bring back the Quickie kits with some changes do to the issues I have found over the years. The biggest was that very wide gear. Even the Dragonfly had problems. So what we came up with is using the gear legs from the Tailwind we could bring the gear into the firewall. This made the airplane easier to deal with on the ground. Your less likely to drop a wheel off the smaller runways and ending up in a damaged plane. It does make it a better tail dragger and the weight ends up less then the hoop gear. The install is also cleaner as there is almost no glass work.

More
12 years 8 months ago #1139 by Bob Wright
Can you give me an idea of where you are in the process of developing this. My plane will be coming back into the shop shortly for work. I built the LS canard (straight with a spar the same as we built the original GU canard) years ago and had intended on building a landing gear as a separate entity. I have the plans for the TriQ which was my original thought but could be confinced otherwise. The plane flew very well and take offs were fantastic. The only problem was high speed landings and the bounce if you weren't perfect on the stick.

Do you have plans or a retrofit kit?
Have you compared it with a hoop style gear as far as ability to retro fit with either a GU or LS canard?
Are there any Q2's or Dragonflys flying with either the hoop or Whitman style gear?
Look forward to your comments.
Where are you located in case I am travelling in the area?
I live 1 hour North west of Toronto Canada in Fergus.
Cheers Bob

More
12 years 7 months ago #1141 by mylittlemgb@yahoo.com
I'm sorry Bob I guess I did something wrong and my post was lost. I do have a retro fit for the inboard gear it is an easy install. the advantage of it over the hoop is weight and drag. Not to mention there is no repainting the airplane everything mounts to the firewall there is a small mod to the cowl in the bottom corners for the gear to exit. I was flying it on my Q2 until I had to give the gear legs back to a friend who let me try it out. Much better in the aera of ground handling the legs we will go with will be a bit shorter. The gear works just fine with both canards. As far as the hoop goes they work just fime but take much more work. Now the tri gear, nice side of the tri is my insurance dropped by better then 50% and the ground operations are just like being in a little GA Tiger. The tri gear takes sometime to install and I enjoy mine more now then ever before. Less work on landing and take off. We do produce the TriQ gear now and can deliver in about a week. As for the inboard setup will take about a month for delivery. As for our location we are spread out but all operations are setup in Marysville, Ohio. Hope this helped.

Richard
F.L.A.Ps

Moderators: JonMatcho
Time to create page: 0.268 seconds