Login Form

glide ratios?

• Egmonster
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 1 month ago #677 by Egmonster
glide ratios? was created by Egmonster
Despite various web searches, I haven't been able to find L/D ratios for the Quickie family. (My dial-up connection and 10-year-old computer, taking over a minute to load some of your forum pages, for example, discouraged me from manually searching for glide ratios among the plans and manuals you have posted on this site. So I'm sorry if I'm asking a question with an obvious answer.)

Currently Wikipedia's Quickie page only lists some isolated facts plus the specs from Quickie Builders Association Q2 specs . I'd like to see L/D for Q1, Q2, Q-200, and maybe Dragonfly.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 1 month ago #678 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re:glide ratios?
Hmmm? That's an interesting thought. I think we would have to send that question out to the community at large and take an average.

Each homebuilt airplane is a "one-off" product pretty much, so publishing data for one of these types can be a little tricky. This is especially true of a composite built kit with any number of engine and gross weight combinations.

That being said, if anyone would like to chime in here and tell us what the ratio is on their own plane, we're all ears.

I won't be able to tell you my data, until I actually get the thing out of the garage!

Good question. I hope people with respond.

Warm regards,
Dan Yager

www.quickheads.com

Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that?

— Captain Picard, from 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' episode 'Booby Trap.'

More
14 years 5 months ago #792 by haiqu
Replied by haiqu on topic Re:glide ratios?
Typical glider: 30 to 1
Quickie: 9 to 1
Cessna: 4 to 1
Brick: 1 to 1 :-)

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #1310 by F3A-1
Replied by F3A-1 on topic Re:glide ratios?
Actually a brick is 0' to 1'!

In my experience the Q-2 and Dragon Fly do glide much better than any Cessna. I did get to do an off airport (Interstate 75/4 in Florida) landing in a Dragon Fly and found it to glide excellently. I think the sink rate is a little (a lot) more in the Q-2.

Lex

An ego is no match for gravity.
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by F3A-1. Reason: I can

More
9 years 1 month ago #1311 by scheevel
Replied by scheevel on topic Re:glide ratios?
I am finishing a study of aerodynamics of the Q-2 (LS-1 airfoil) and Tri-Q2. I will publish the full results on the QBA "members only" side of this site when the study is finished, but here are relevant answers to your question about whole aircraft lift to drag. The original prototype Q-200 N81QA at GW of 900 lb. and CG of 44" has max L/D of above 14:1, but you must fly around 75 mph CAS to achieve this L/D. As you might already know, L/D is a function of airspeed. The typical Tri-Q has L/D of slightly above 10:1, again at CAS less than 80 mph CAS. I am attaching the L/D vs. CAS graphs to this note.

Cheers,
Jay Scheevel, Tri-Q still building
Attachments:

More
9 years 1 month ago #1312 by F3A-1
Replied by F3A-1 on topic glide ratios?
Very interesting!

You put some work into this. Thank you.

Going back, way back to the late 80's, it seemed that the sink rate on the Q2 was higher below 100mph or so. This is not scientific, just an old guys seat of the pants memory.

Lex

An ego is no match for gravity.

Moderators: JonMatcho
Time to create page: 0.229 seconds