Login Form

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: NEW PROJECT TIME Q1 with a Hirth engine

NEW PROJECT TIME Q1 with a Hirth engine 8 months 4 days ago #1594

Hello fellow quickheads,

Overview- I have the opportunity to buy a previously flying Q1 (750 hrs TT) that has been relieved of its original engine.
I happen to have a 650cc Hirth engine of the same vintage complete with an oddball 3 blade cast aluminium prop. (No gear reduction). Electric start. It’s single plugs now but I would modify it for dual plugs /dual CDI ignition.

I have researched a ton about what doesn’t work. But in doing so I keep seeing 28-40hp as the ideal range for a Q1. But I would love for someone to educate we as to why. If I can build an engine that puts out 50-60hp and keep my prop top speeds sub sonic and the engine weighs the same, what is the downside to having more horsepower?

I’m not against changing any components in the equation. I just don’t want to spend a lot of time doing something that someone has already cut the learning curve on. I haven’t run the math but my gut tells me that I will need to change props, possibly add a reduction drive and do a fair bit or tuning.

Has anyone here had any experience with HIrth engines as this is my first experience with them?

Thanks in advance,

Rob
Utah
A&P
2200 hours total time
Email- This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.245 seconds