Login Form

New guy here

More
9 years 2 months ago #1306 by F3A-1
New guy here was created by F3A-1
I am very pleased to see a blog just for Quickie Q-1's.

Last June I picked up a Q-1 that was built, and taxied in the grass, then the builder, a paraplegic (and pilot), just quit. I have about 20 hrs in a Q2, most of it off grass, and I have an idea why he may not have continued. I look at this Quickie when I think things are going bad around the hanger, and have a new outlook on how good someone like me, who can walk, has it.

After being built the plane went to the owner's/builder's day care business for 40 years,... outside! In Minnesota! It looked horrific! After sanding the paint and feather fill off, I found all but one crack to be superficial. The engine is almost perfect internally. Absolutely all of the control linkages and hardware have been removed and will be replaced. I have removed the firewall ply and stainless and one longeron. New ones have been made. I will make new control surfaces and load test the canard and wing.

It may not be cost, or time effective but I am inspired by a man in a wheelchair building a Quickie. I am compelled to finish this plane and fly it, God willing, (and this is not meant to be flippant).

I will be looking into all of the great information here and hope to learn from a lot of Quickie people here.

Regards,
Lex
www.BrewsterCorsair.com

An ego is no match for gravity.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 months ago #1307 by admin
Replied by admin on topic New guy here
Hey Lex,
You can't fool us with that "New Guy" stuff! It is so great to have you here on our little message board. I have been following your progress with your Corsair off and on for several years, and I am so impressed with your "git 'er done" mentality . . . even if it requires and act of Congress!

Sounds like you have an interesting Q1 project, just be careful about fiberglass that has been sitting around in the sun for several years. (UV Rays aren't kind to our favorite structures.) I think a load test is a good idea for your own peace of mind.

There is plenty of information on this website to help, and I am currently working on the metal parts drawings for the Q1. If you have any questions, or if we can be of further assistance please don't hesitate to ask.

Warm regards,
Dan Yager
Quickie Builders Association Editor
www.quickheads.com

Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that?

— Captain Picard, from 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' episode 'Booby Trap.'

More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #1308 by F3A-1
Replied by F3A-1 on topic New guy here
Dan,

Thank you for the kind words. Sometimes being stubborn works out.

The UV damage is in the interior of the cockpit and top aft fuselage only. The paint, primer and feather fill did protect the wing, canard, virt. fin and fuselage sides. I have not determined my repair yet. I have thought of bagging the entire cockpit, adding the bid to areas that require additional, or cut and replace. Either way I will be making some dust! You just cannot make a repair, that does not add weight, but by vacuum bagging, it is the best I can do.

I do look to make the replacement control surfaces more like the Q2. I would suspect someone here has done this? Their methods would be welcome information.

In the hanger we currently fabricate new Corsair gun doors, so making the metal parts is within our means. I did see someone here does do "kits" so I don't need to reinvent the "wheel".

Lex

An ego is no match for gravity.
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by F3A-1. Reason: replace word

Moderators: JonMatcho
Time to create page: 0.233 seconds