Login Form

Possible to build the carbon fiber spar?

More
9 years 3 months ago #1300 by rivilee
Where are the plans for the spar for the LS1? I would like to make my own.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 months ago #1301 by admin
Hi rivilee,
There are no plans for the CF spar. These were included with the later kits sold by Quickie Aircraft Corporation . . . but they went out of business in 1986.

Richard Kaczmarek from Fast Little Airplanes (F.L.A.Ps) is able to produce Carbon Fiber Spars for the Q-200 again. They are willing to produce these on demand, but please allow 4 weeks for delivery. He is a vendor on this site and is selling them here:

www.quickheads.com/index.php?option=com_...&parent=2&vendorid=3

You can also find un-started or partial kits on the net that still have spars. I have considered several ways to do a hand layup of the spars, but since I haven't done this yet, I can't publish my results.

If you successfully build and test a spar, I would be interested in sharing your results.

Please let me know if any of this helps.

Thanks,
Dan Yager
QBA Editor
www.quickheads.com

Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that?

— Captain Picard, from 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' episode 'Booby Trap.'

More
9 years 3 months ago #1302 by rivilee
A reply! Awesome! Merry Christmas!
Well, I'm definitely a DIY kind of person so this is something I want to do if possible. Hmmm....
The following user(s) said Thank You: JonMatcho

More
9 years 3 months ago #1303 by JonMatcho
It's certainly possible to build one out of fiberglass, and it need not necessarily be a tube.

The key would be knowing the specifications of the carbon spar, and testing a new design to failure.

Maybe someone knows of another option for a homebuilt Q2/200 canard?

Jon Matcho
Quickheads & Canard Zone Administrator
Rebuilding Tri-Q200 N479E
Building Cozy Mark IV+
www.canardzone.com

More
9 years 2 months ago #1313 by Goldenhands57
My aircraft is using the Dragonfly surfaces cut back to near Q dimensions, and the Q-2 shells mated to the surfaces. The D-fly has in the build plans the carbon spar cap system. Also, Zeke Smith has an excellent book on the topic of Understanding Aircraft Composite Construction and it is written in "non engineering" ;) ISBN 0-96-428282-8

Carbon spar caps in the layup are not all that difficult to do. Since I have the Dragonfly plans I can also provide the exact layup schedule used if that would help you.

PM me if you would like to build up using the D-fly method.

Vern

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
9 years 2 months ago #1315 by rivilee
very cool! I'll pm tomorrow

Moderators: JonMatcho
Time to create page: 0.241 seconds