Login Form

Electronic Ignitions

More
13 years 3 months ago #1010 by Caldwell
I was curious as to why the aircraft EI seems so complicated and fussy to get it to work properly, and the price is way out there. I see alot of aircraft going to auto type plugs, Why wouldnt a builder of EI start by replacing the mags with a simple distributor with a aftermarket EI module in it, instead of reinventing the wheel with a sensor that runs off a plate that is sandwiched between the prop and hub. A complex computer and numerous coils for each plug. I'm not a electrical engineer or anything else for that matter, but it seems a v8 dist. modified with the proper setup for 8 plugs and 4 cyl would easier to produce and to install. I've put a few EIs on vehicles in the past and its not that complicated at all. But maybe with altitude changes, electronic Ignitions become more complicated and there for harder to install. Just food for thought! :huh:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 11 months ago #1108 by haiqu
Replied by haiqu on topic Re: Electronic Ignitions
The simple answer is that a magneto keeps working even if the whole electrical system shuts down, which allows you to keep flying. An electronic ignition as a secondary system is a good idea though.

Rob

More
12 years 7 months ago #1164 by SammyQ2
Replied by SammyQ2 on topic Re: Electronic Ignitions
Where would you mount the distributor? How will the EI determine crankshaft position?

Sam

More
12 years 7 months ago #1167 by mylittlemgb@yahoo.com
If you are using the pertronics system or any of the systems used on the old sand rails, it is just a matter of adding the dist. as it is all self contained ( No extra sensors ) It does clear the cowl on the Q2 or should I say it does mine. I do use the peanut plugs with the caps removed and a lock nut installed. You do have to make your own custom cables.

Richard
F.L.A.Ps

More
12 years 7 months ago #1171 by SammyQ2
Replied by SammyQ2 on topic Re: Electronic Ignitions
So, you are talking Revmaster and not O-200.

More
12 years 7 months ago #1176 by mylittlemgb@yahoo.com
There is also an electronic system out there for the 0-200. It to is all self contained and just replaces one of the mags or both. You do go to a better hotter plug but it is still a general aviation plug but designed for the hotter spark.

Richard
F.L.A.Ps

Moderators: JonMatcho
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds