Login Form

OpenQ?

More
15 years 4 months ago #2 by admin
OpenQ? was created by admin
Roger Gerrard contacted me through the Q-list on yahoo and suggested that we update the plans for the Q1 so that a homebuilder could scratch build one of these planes if so desired.

The purpose of this forum is to collaborate with others builders and enthusiasts to help compile all of the information neccessary to build a Q1 from scratch.

First off, I will complete the online Q-1 plans. As of this writing, I need to complete Chapter 3 which is the Composite Materials Education Chapter of the plans. This chapter is similar to Chapter 3 of the Q2/Q200 plans which are already posted online, but there are enough differences that I feel that it would be worthwhile to repost.

John Presscott has offered to post all of the Quickie Plans Changes online, and will begin adding that content to the main site as well. This will serve as a jumping off point for everyone to begin working on the development of the design.

As you can see, this forum contains areas for each of the major components of the Quickie design. If you would like to contribute to one of these areas please register for an account on this website, by using the "LOGIN FORM" on the left navigation bar.

Once you register an account, you will be able to post to these forums and make suggestions, or lend a hand. We will need help in several different areas including legal advice, web & graphic design, autoCAD, printing, and materials testing just to name a few. We are also in the process of collecting data from current builders and owners of original Quickie kits.

It should be noted that discussions within this forum area of the site are just that, discussion only. There will be many people chatting in here with varying levels of expertise and knowledge. Some will make suggestions without having ever tested their proposal. Therfore it is imperative that you weigh these discussions with your own good judgment before implementing them into your project.

Our goal will be to collaborate with anyone who has the enthusiasm to help, but we will only recommend changes on the main website, that are proven to work, in a flying aircraft. The number one goal is safety. Second, is efficiency of the build process. Third would be improvements in speed and handling characteristics of the airframe.

We should not try to re-invent the wheel. In the last 30 years lots of improvements have been made to the design through the "school of hard knocks" within the Q community and the quickiebuilders group. We should incorporate the improvements, and be determined to learn from the mistakes made by others and not repeat them.

For example the Jim-Bob-Six-Pack should be incorporated into the plans. (If you don't know what that is, please do some research on the Q-list before asking about it here.)

In addition, I would like to open the online store up to others who would be interested in manufacturing and/or selling parts for the kit that cannot be purchased off the shelf. This should make the parts more readily available for prospective builders, but I would like to do so in a format that reduces liabilty for all of the parties involved. This may include an auction style format where quickheads.com hosts the auction, but in no way gets involved in the transaction between buyer and seller. This would hopefully give the seller great pause before offering inferior items for sale, and help the buyer use better judgement when making a purchase.

This is at least what I have in mind. I look forward to collaborating with other builders and sharing ideas with you all. Together I think we'll be capable of improving the reputation of this amazingly efficient homebuilt airplane.

Cheers,
Dan Yager
owner

www.quickheads.com

Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that?

— Captain Picard, from 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' episode 'Booby Trap.'

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: JonMatcho
Time to create page: 0.215 seconds