Login Form

Re:Engines for the Quickie

• bnther
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
14 years 7 months ago #777 by bnther
Replied by bnther on topic Re:Engines for the Quickie
Just a quick note on the Onan P220G, I Googled that engine and got 4 hits on the first page all saying something along the lines of "runs at full throttle for 4 to 5 minutes and then shuts down."

That would sooooo suck :S

Did the original Onan have the same problem?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 7 months ago - 14 years 7 months ago #778 by haiqu
Replied by haiqu on topic Re:Engines for the Quickie
That isn't a common problem, no. You probably hit multiple sites all echoing the same message from one farmer who didn't like performing basic maintenance.

The modified Onan B48M-GA018 as supplied by QAC had some problems with head bolts coming loose, the solution for which is not to screw with other people's stable engine designs unless you know what you're doing. They were trying to get 22hp from an 18hp engine.

Please note that Linimar and Onan finally went out of production completely in 2005 so any engine you find by chance will be old stock. Parts are still plentiful, however.

I wouldn't buy one secondhand.
Last edit: 14 years 7 months ago by haiqu.

More
14 years 4 months ago - 14 years 4 months ago #827 by expresso
Replied by expresso on topic Re:Engines for the Quickie
Hello ! I will get my Q1 soon but wih over sized Rotax 503
I want to come back to an economic ,quiet fly
Have some experience about replacing by one of these new 1 cylinder 4 strokes?
they claim fuel consumption as low as 2-4l/h !
www.americanparagliding.com/bailey/index.htm
www.gaengine.com/gaengine/GA210.html
I'm considering this as a solution for Quickie Q1
they are ligher engine (about 45lbs with reductiion vs 85 for 2 cyl)
which sort of prop should I order ? GA210 are ready to propose 1500$ kit with personalised reduction and propeller ! help me to find diameter , pitch , reduction for this [0-8200]rpm and I will test for you !

and on the opposite was also looking diesel alternative with new 3/LC B&S from
18hp to 34 (with turbocompressor) , 3 cylinders , same mount
DM 700D (18 hp) to DM 954DT (34hp Turbo) from 180 to 196 lbs

edit : reading the post VTwin chiese suggestion seemed more adapted , like 22hp / 58kg / SKF bearings / 3600 rpm (no reduction needed)
dieselengine.en.ec21.com/V_twin_Diesel_E...2637876_2812948.html
www.madeinchina.com/66411/P4936106/22HP-...win-Air-Cooled.shtml R2V840V
300g/kW.H means for 1.2L/G diesel 0.3*1.2*10 = 3.6 L/h of diesel 1hp = 1.341 kW (10kw=13hp , being 65% cruise power?)
www.alibaba.com/product-gs/227279305/22h..._air_cooled_car.html LPV86 , more compact size
would these industrial engines use vegetable oil (with preheating system) ?
anticlockwise means use of normal or inverted propeller? is nominal rotation direction a problem?

happy that I found this forum :)
Last edit: 14 years 4 months ago by expresso.

More
14 years 4 months ago #834 by Lemans
Replied by Lemans on topic Re:Engines for the Quickie
Just a little info on an engine I??m building for an ultra light in France.
Basic engine is an industrial Honda V-twin 615 cc.
In the next months, several levels of modifications are going to be tested on a dyno.
First and fore all, the engine with no modifications, this test would hopefully backup his ??factory?? 18hp output.
Second run would be with a programmable ignition ( mobile magneto??s around inductive flywheel )
Third run as above + tuned inlet and air-box. Mixture for the air-box is provided by a carburettor.
Fourth run on a complete dual digital management system.
Engines rpm??s are topped of @ 3800, direct prop drive is used.
Power predictions: I hope to get +30 hp out of the engine @ 3800 rpm with the DMSystem.
But??.I must ad my concerns about the cost of this setup (2000?? + engine!) and therefore, I prey that the third solution gives enough power (+25hp) at a substantial lower cost.

This engine made me look after an airplane that??s worth receiving this beauty in progress.
After a long journey I met the Quickie and my mind is made up.
Oh, by the way, naked engine weight is 70lbs.

Regards Lemans

More
14 years 4 months ago #835 by Lemans
Replied by Lemans on topic Re:Engines for the Quickie
Just a few words on fuel consumption figures you find on the internet. Don??t believe everything!
The best 4-stroke gasoline engines are burning 0.22 liter per hour for every single horsepower at full throttle.
The best 4-stroke diesel engines are burning 0.18 liter per hour for every horsepower delivered at any throttle setting. ( this makes the difference in your daily car)
The best 2-strokes are burning 0.40 liter/hp/hour at full throttle.
So, if fuel weight becomes more important than volume (as in aircrafts) the benefits of diesel engines are fading away.

Let??s end whit a little example.

The Rotax503 2-stroke. 50hp
@ full throttle : 50hp *0.4l=20 l/h !minimum! ( Rotax figures: 23 l/h)
@ 50% power : 25hp * 0.7l= 17.5 l/h !minimum ( Rotax figures : 18 l/h)
During cruise with partial closed carburettor fuel burn can go up to 1liter/hp/hour on a 2-stroke engine.

I took the Rotax engine because Rotax is correct about there info.

If you find an interesting engine on the net, you start with recalculating there technical information. There are no miracles out there??
If a company announce a fuel burn of 0.1 liter/hp/hour it??s simply not possible.

Sorry for the metric units.

More
14 years 4 months ago #837 by Leon
Replied by Leon on topic Re:Engines for the Quickie
Lemans wrote:

If you find an interesting engine on the net, you start with recalculating there technical information. There are no miracles out there??

Sorry for the metric units.

Don't apologize for the metric units. Some day those of us in the U.S. will get around to using the more logical system.

You are right about the wild claims being made for some of the motors advertised on the internet. Calculating the fuel consumption (in L/KW or G/Hp)and the BMEP will give a good indication of the validity of the advertised numbers.
==============
Leon McAtee

Moderators: JonMatcho
Time to create page: 0.233 seconds