Login Form

Re:Engines for the Quickie

More
13 years 11 months ago #916 by Lemans
Replied by Lemans on topic Re:Engines for the Quickie
Hi,

Sorry but my English is not that good..
Are you talking about the power of a ? VW and cooling problems?

If you are looking for a 4-stroke engine you may take this equation to start with.
8,5 HP for every 1000cc and every 1000 rpm.

Or in US units : 14 HP for every 100 cubic inch and every 1000 rpm
So your engine needs to be a 100 cubic inch @2500 rpm for 35 HP

Let??s take a Lycoming 320 as an example:
320 cubic inch @ 2700 rpm
320/70 makes 45,7 HP@1000 rpm or 123 HP @ 2700 rpm

Lycoming announces 150 to 160 HP for this engine witch is a very good.

The only way to build significant stronger engines is using a sort of forced in-take system like a turbo or a roots-blower.

Today??s best normal aspirated 4-strokes will deliver 24,6 HP/ 100 cubic inch/1000rpm.
These are engine-performance figures you find on the Yamaha R6, not immediately in range ;-). (123HP@13000rpm)

Regards Johan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 2 months ago #1011 by jenkstp
Replied by jenkstp on topic Re:Engines for the Quickie
Hi Guys,

New guy here, have acquired a part built Q1 and hope to have it delivered later this year.

I am partial to the 1/2 vw (Hummel Engines look like a great solution), but I do enjoy the thought of a few extra horses up front. Gets warm here in Australia and I am not as slim as I used to be!

The Tom Solan Super Quickie looks outstanding, can anyone give any info on what weight/cg issues he had to solve and how he did it. What prop dimensions did he use?

Also what was his min flying speed at the all up weight I found on the Great Plains Aircraft website (empty 406lbs/all up 625lbs).

The Great Plains website can sell a stripped down 1915cc engine with lightweight cylinders/electronic ignition/'X' casting accessory case etc etc that may work.

Regards

Steve

More
13 years 3 weeks ago - 13 years 3 weeks ago #1037 by haiqu
Replied by haiqu on topic Re:Engines for the Quickie
Steve,

Where did you find a partial Q1 kit in Australia? I looked high and low a few years ago. If you're in Victoria give me a yell, would love to see it and maybe help out with the project.

Regarding your thoughts on engines, go look at the Owner's Handbook for what the specs say on performance with the original 18hp Onan. You may then realize that it's completely silly to use more than 25-30hp in one of these planes and even a 1/2 VW would really be overkill. Despite what some cowboys might have gotten away with, you'll regret it in the end. It's a very efficient airframe.

Rob
Last edit: 13 years 3 weeks ago by haiqu.

More
13 years 3 weeks ago #1038 by jenkstp
Replied by jenkstp on topic Re:Engines for the Quickie
Thanks Rob,

Whilst there is no substitute for cubes, your commments are right on the mark. Have been chewing on the issue for a while and I reckon the 1/2vw is the way to go. Personal choice as I am a huge vw fan.

With respect to the project, a friend of mine found a couple of part completed machines in the states and as them in a container in the eastern states. I am in Adelaide-when I eventually get the thing here I will post etc

Cheers

Steve

More
13 years 3 weeks ago #1039 by haiqu
Of course, there's always the jet engine option:

www.amtjets.com/OlympusHP.php

5000 Euro will get you the equivalent of an 18hp internal combustion engine, and it only weighs 9 lb!!

More
13 years 2 weeks ago - 13 years 2 weeks ago #1040 by haiqu
One last possibility is the ZDZ 210cc RC engine. 4.4kg and 22hp. They go for $1,795.00 and several CriCri builders are successfully using them. Being 60lb lighter than the original Onan the weight and balance would change dramatically, but canard loading would be way better. It would really require a complete rethink of the design.

This is definitely the way I'd go if building a new one from scratch. There's also an electric start kit available that weighs about 1.6kg

www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/ZDZ210-JENGINE.html

Rob
Last edit: 13 years 2 weeks ago by haiqu.

Moderators: JonMatcho
Time to create page: 0.210 seconds