Login Form

O200 installation

More
12 years 7 months ago #1165 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: O200 installation
Thanks for looking closer Sam. I hadn't noticed the canard notch until you pointed it out. It does look a bit dangerous to me as well.

William, do you know what type of engine the original builder was trying to install? (Or is that what you are trying to determine.) There are O-200 installation instructions for the Q-200, and these pictures don't come close to that either.

It does look like an LS1 canard because of the sparrow strainers, but that doesn't mean that the front of the canard isn't structurally neccessary.

Also, from the side view it looks like you AOA on the main wing is VERY low, especially given the fact that the mains are up on dollies.

Let us know some history please.

Thanks,
Dan Yager
QBA Editor
www.quickheads.com

Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that?

— Captain Picard, from 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' episode 'Booby Trap.'

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago #1166 by SammyQ2
Replied by SammyQ2 on topic Re: O200 installation
Try and get your money back.

More
12 years 7 months ago #1168 by mylittlemgb@yahoo.com
William, as we spoke before the price was right sorry I didn't notice the cutout as Sam did I guess I was more focused on the engine issue you had asked about. As I said before the price was right and anything can be fixed, you just gotta want it. We would be happy to help anyway we can. I am sure the group will to, we need more flyers.

Richard,
F.L.A.Ps

More
12 years 7 months ago #1169 by SammyQ2
Okay - deep breath. I would strongly recommend building a new canard, and installing a per-plans firewall. Yes it sounds like a lot of work, but given this builders "creativity" everything else might also be suspect.

Then again the wing might be suspect too.

On second thought, try and get your money back.

JMHO

Sam

More
12 years 7 months ago #1170 by SammyQ2
Not to keep kicking this crippled horse, but if you look at the side view of the airframe, the rear wing kind of looks like it is installed with the wrong angle of attack. Might just be my imagination, but it seems to be way nose low.

The only way to tell is to put a jigging template on it.

What do you other guys think?

Sam

More
12 years 7 months ago #1172 by wvshoem
Replied by wvshoem on topic Re: O200 installation
Deep breath is right. Thanks all for your input/concern. I don't have all of the answers yet but you can bet I'll get them.

Here's what I know thus far. The airplane was built by owner of Competition Aircraft out of Grass Valley, CA. His plan was to hang the Rotorway RW100 on the front of it. I believe the cutout in the canard was for the placement of the radiator but will have to confirm. I will be on the phone with the original builder ASAP.

Although it is hard to tell from the picture, there is a substantial box structure in place. I have no idea how or if it is designed to carry the load in place of the canard structure. I had an engineer look at it this evening and I'm going to connect with a aeronautical engineer next week so he can put some numbers to it.

Also going to determine the angle of incidence of both wings per Sam's observation and compare against design specs.

If there is any question about the safety of this airplane I have no problem walking away from it.

Thanks for your posts. I will keep you informed as I learn more.

William

Moderators: JonMatcho
Time to create page: 0.195 seconds